DHS Express

Helping kids with Cancer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Helping kids with Cancer

Sydnie Harrell, Staff Writer

To some, being a part of an organization that helps cancer patients seems out of reach, especially for people in a small town. But for senior Karli Geyer, it is anything but impossible. Geyer applied and was accepted to be a member of the St. Jude Leadership Society.

“I wanted to apply for the St. Jude. Leadership Society because of my personal experience of what my best friend went through,” Geyer said.

When she was three years old, Geyer’s best friend, Morgan, was diagnosed with Leukemia. Upon hearing this, Geyer asked her mom to go over to Morgan’s every chance she had.

“I remember knowing that I had to be really gentle with Morgan and that every moment mattered,” Geyer said. “I just kind of understood even though I was young.”

Along with visiting his house, Geyer spent time with Morgan because they had the same babysitter Mon. through Fri.

“Our babysitters, Momo and Popo, watched Dana, Morgan and I when we were babies,” Geyer said. “We were at Momo’s house almost everyday of the week because all of our parent’s worked.”

About one year after his diagnosis, Morgan lost his battle to Leukemia. This spurred Geyer’s interest to help other people who are being affected by cancer.

“I didn’t quite understand what was going on because I was young, but I knew I didn’t want anyone else to have to go through such an experience,” Geyer said.

As she got older, Geyer began to research ways to get involved with fundraisers that help children with cancer. This is when she got in contact with the St. Jude Leadership Society.

“I participated in a bunch of local fundraisers that had to do with St. Jude that were put on by other people, but as I got older, I realized I could make a difference by doing stuff on my own as well,” Geyer said.

Geyer was accepted in the Houston branch of the St. Jude Leadership Society in early Feb. and has set up a link under her name that donations can be made. Her role as a member is to help raise money to meet the $35,000 goal that the branch has set.

“I am so excited to be a part of this program and know that I have the opportunity to make a difference to something that is important to me,” Geyer said. “This is the first step I can take to helping children affected by cancer.”

If you’re interested in donating to Geyer’s fundraiser that supports St. Jude, please visit the following link: http://events.stjude.org/karligeyer

• Helping kids with Cancer

Showcase

Quisenberry to State

• Helping kids with Cancer

Feature

Bethany’s trip abroad

• Helping kids with Cancer

News

FCCLA headed to nationals

• Helping kids with Cancer

News

Ice cream for seniors

• Helping kids with Cancer

News

Grand sweepstakes

• Helping kids with Cancer

News

Three consecutive academic UIL wins

• Helping kids with Cancer

News

Scholarship opportunites

• Helping kids with Cancer

Showcase

Giving back with blood

• Helping kids with Cancer

Feature

Fashion show success

• Helping kids with Cancer

News

State state state

The student news site of Devine High School
Helping kids with Cancer