The student news site of Devine High School

DHS Express

Band places second at marching contest

Abby Kohlleppel, Staff Writer

The Warhorse Marching Band traveled to Fredericksburg to participate in the Hill Country Marching Festival. The band placed second out of five bands in the class 4A category.

“I was excited about placing second because we’ve been working really hard and placing which shows our improvements,” sophomore Sara Moreno said.

The band started working on their 2016 marching show, the Jewel and the Dragon, in early August.

“I like the show we’re doing this year,” sophomore Derek Weinstrom said. “It evokes the feeling of power and energy and it’s quite a sight to see in motion.”

The band has been working hard with morning practices, Monday night practices, and sectionals throughout the week to prepare their show for the UIL marching contest in Hondo on Oct 15.

“We put in around eight hours of practice a week not including football games and contests,” junior Emily Kohlleppel said. “Band runs everyone’s lives until November, it’s a crazy schedule that only the dedicated can achieve.”

To prepare for UIL, the band goes to pre-contests to see what they need to improve on and how they stand up to their competition.

“Going to Harlendale after Fredericksburg puts a lot more pressure on the band to do even better,” sophomore Amada Guardiola said. “Once you do great, there’s an unspoken pressure to do even better.”

At Fredericksburg the band placed second to other 4A bands like Pearsall, Lytle, and Boerne. The band also earned a division I rating from all three judges.

“Earning a division I this early on in the season felt great,” sophomore Krista Davis said. “If we are already doing good, then our chances for making state are really good.”

The band’s next contest is in Harlendale on Oct 8. They hope to take their improvements from Fredericksburg and place and receive another division I rating.

“My hopes for the next contest are to make I’s from all three judges, and to get more information on how to prepare for UIL in Hondo,” senior Kiara Lopez said.

• Band places second at marching contest

Showcase

Homecoming week

Showcase

DHS student section

feature

Fun with Mums

Showcase

Pumpkins for people

• News

Largest group of NHS Inductees

• Showcase

First Devine Cross Country meet

• Feature

Meet the Managing Editor

• News

FCCLA recognition

Showcase

Unplug and Engage

Showcase

Striving for state

Band places second at marching contest