• Congratulations to OAP for advancing to regionals March 25, 2014

• Follow DHS Publications Department on twitter @DHSJournalism7. March 17, 2014

• Sophomore fundraiser rescheduled for April 30 March 17, 2014

FFA reaches new heights; Devine represents Area and State

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
May 30, 2013
Filed under News

Devine FFA has been reaching new heights with several major accomplishments. For the first time in over a decade, the Devine FFA chapter will be representing with their very own Kyle Saathoff as the Area VII president elect. Holding this position in office is a great honor, and is making history for... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Editor
May 22, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The fresh feeling of new scenery, wind in your hair and a long weekend ahead is one of the best feelings in the world. With the same routines playing like a broken record, and the same stresses that haunt you day in and day out, a small vacation can feel like a huge breath of fresh air. A worry-free... Read More »

Tragedy prompts blood drive; Students give back after Boston and West, Texas

Samantha Latta, Editor
May 22, 2013
Filed under Student Life

As any small town does, when a tragedy hits, the community gives back. With one traumatic event occurring in Boston, and another close to home in West, Texas, DHS organized a blood drive to donate to those who were badly injured in the bombings and explosions that occurred in mid-April. As seen from... Read More »

Three named Academic All State

Samantha Latta, Editor
May 22, 2013
Filed under Sports

After completing a great track season, three of Devine’s senior athletes Joseph Espinosa, Bekah Reyes, and Jose Cantrell were awarded with honorable awards for their hard work inside the classroom and out on the track. “It’s an honor to represent Devine as a student athlete, the coaches are... Read More »

2013-2014 Devine FFA officers

2013-2014 Devine FFA officers

Samantha Latta, Editor
May 21, 2013
Filed under News

The Devine FFA chapter has inducted another group of hard-working, team-building members to lead the 2013-2014 school year onto great success. Next year’s officer team will consist of, (pictured from left to right) Lane Spannagel, Daniel Morales, Melanie Frazier, Clark Toalson, Kyle Saathoff, Tyler... Read More »

Undefeated Arabians advance to Area playoff game

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
May 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

The once-state ranked Devine Arabians softball team finished their season with a tremendous 30-4 record, and a 10-0 record in district. In 10 district games, the girls only allowed 4 runs to be scored against them. In their warm up playoff game, the Arabians beat the number 12 state ranked team La Vernia... Read More »

Senior Ice Cream Social

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
April 11, 2013
Filed under Showcase

To kick off the beginning of senior events for the class of 2013, the Devine Current Events Club put on the annual ice cream social on Monday, April 2. Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Summerlin opened their home to host the event and the Current Events Club provided the seniors with ice cream, cookies, toppings... Read More »

Cheer tryouts begin

Cheer tryouts begin

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
March 6, 2013
Filed under News

To take over next year’s school spirit, DHS will soon be having cheerleading tryouts for the 2013-2014 school year. With 28 girls and one boy fighting for only 12 varsity and 8 JV spots, stress and tension can get high. Cheerleading isn’t just about putting on a uniform, bow and a smile; it takes... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Staff Reporter
March 6, 2013
Filed under Opinion

When something brings you down and you can’t seem to shake it off, it’s important to ask yourself a question; years from now, will this really matter? Often people can find themselves unhappy and stuck dwelling on things, when in reality, they might not even remember it. Without a doubt, the struggles... Read More »

Arabians advance to area

Arabians advance to area

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
February 15, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Arabians have been battling through a tough district season this year as they recently took an unfortunate loss form Lytle and then bounced back for the win against Carrizo Springs. With a district record of 6-3 and overall 13-16, the girls will have finished up the season as of Tuesday when they... Read More »

Justin’s battles on and off the court

Justin’s battles on and off the court

Samantha Latta, Editor-In-Chief
February 15, 2013
Filed under Showcase

Last week’s Warhorse basketball game drew a large crowd as the boys played in their last home game of the season. Not only was it an important district game, but the night had special meaning to the team, coaches, and to the fans. Wearing number twenty-one on his jersey, senior Justin Salcedo received... Read More »

Arabians advance to area

Samantha Latta, editor-In-Chief
February 13, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Arabians have been battling through a tough district season this year as they recently took an unfortunate loss form Lytle and then bounced back for the win against Carrizo Springs. With a district record of 6-3 and overall 13-16, the girls will have finished up the season as of Tuesday... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Editor-In-Chief
February 13, 2013
Filed under Opinion

When you feel like everything is going wrong, ironically, you should consider yourself lucky. The moment where you think nothing could be worse, it could; and someone out in the world would give anything for their darkest hour to be as bright as yours. There’s no reason to sink in self-pity, especially... Read More »

Reptile Rescue reaches DHS

Reptile Rescue reaches DHS

Samantha Latta, Editor-In-Chief
February 5, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

Students received an unusual visual as they walked into their ag classes last week, Jan. 29. FFA advisor Chad Saunders had an informational hands-on lesson ready for the Small Animal and Wildlife classes that strayed from the normal classroom lecture. South Texas Herpetological Association member Blaine... Read More »

Arabians third after first round of play, continue in district

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
January 22, 2013
Filed under Sports

The varsity Arabians currently stand in third place after completing the first round of district play with a record of 3-2. Devine stands behind Lytle and Hondo as they jump into the second round with determination to finish out with nothing but victories. The girls recently played Carrizo Springs... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
January 22, 2013
Filed under Opinion

A chance is a probability. There are no guarantee or returns for the outcome. If you take it, there’s a possibility that it’ll all crash and burn. If you leave it, there’s a possibility that you let something great slip right through your fingertips. The hard part isn’t deciding which way is... Read More »

Monreal competes at another level; DHS senior athlete chosen to play in the national high school Blue/Grey combine football game

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
January 22, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase, Sports

Representing Devine with great pride, senior Warhorse football player Zach Monreal was given an amazing opportunity to travel to Tampa, Florida to play in the Blue Grey combine football game on Jan. 12. Due to his outstanding performance and impressive stats over the 2012 Warhorse football season, Zach... Read More »

Role models at DHS

Role models at DHS

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
December 19, 2012
Filed under News, Student Life

Flying, shooting webs, using super strength, and defeating evil are all things we see in the average superhero. As children, the image of superman, batman, and wonder woman are put in the lime light; those fictional characters are exactly what kids want to grow up to be. However, as children grow into... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
December 19, 2012
Filed under Opinion

As I sat in my living room watching Hallmark Christmas movies and enjoying our big tree, I couldn’t help but think about how different my life is going to be this time next year. I’ll be living away from home, stressing over finals and anxiously waiting for the semester to end. Being the last year... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
November 21, 2012
Filed under Opinion

At this time of year, things start becoming super hectic. The holiday season is coming up right around the corner, college applications are due, semester exams, sports; it seems like they all just clash together and you’re left stuck trying to handle it all at once.  At times like these, I tend to... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
October 24, 2012
Filed under Opinion

What is happiness? It’s what we all live for, and what we ultimately hope to achieve in all that we do. It can be found almost anywhere, but it is considered in different ways to different people. It warms your heart, and it’s good for the soul; which is why nothing and no one should ever keep you... Read More »

Ornelas to State: Devine twirler advances

Samantha Latta, Editor-in-Chief
September 26, 2012
Filed under News, Student Life

One of Devine’s twirlers, senior Amanda Ornelas, represented DHS last weekend as she competed against several other twirlers around the Region to advance onto State. One must score a Division I rating to move onto state. The girls competing range from 1A to 5A. Since Ornelas scored a Division I rating,... Read More »

Simply Sam

Samantha Latta, Editor-In-Chief
September 26, 2012
Filed under Opinion

For the most part, everything I’ve done or will be doing from 2012-2013 can be found in my planner. Every birthday, practice, anniversary, game, due date and deadline is neatly penciled in. Each week it seems to get fuller and fuller as more and more things get piled on top of each other and the season... Read More »